Things To Do in Syros Greece
The majestic neoclassical architecture, the fervor and reminiscence of the first industrial era of Greece, and the medieval Cycladic village of Ano Syros, all come together to create a unique and charismatic union in the Aegean Sea. The Municipality streets and Miaouli Square of Hermoupoulis are sprawling with old marbles and neoclassical buildings designed by renowned architect Ernst Ziller in the late 19th century.
The Apollo Theatre is designed as an exact downsized copy of the Teatro alla Scala of Milan, the impressive neoclassical manors are always competing in charisma, the cobble-stoned alleys interchange with the limestone-paved streets, and all this is framed by the deep blue sea that surrounds this old town.
The historic town of Hermoupolis, named after the greek god Hermes who protected travelers, merchants and orators, is the ideal destination for a carefree holiday full of spontaneous daytrips to the island’s authentic villages and beaches.
- Visit the City Hall and climb the unique marble staircase that leads to the first floor. Enjoy the exceptional painted ceilings and drink a Greek coffee in the old cafe within the City Hall.
- Don’t miss a visit to the Apollon Theater and its history.
- You can visit the Gallery of the Cyclades, which is located behind the old customs offices in the port.
- Go to the Industrial Museum of Syros, where you can learn a lot about the important part the island played during the Industrial Revolution.
- Explore the neoclassical mansions.
- Join the atmosphere of Markos Vamvakaris in the Vamvakaris Museum in Ano Syros, which is dedicated to the great composer of “rebetiko” music.
- Explore the narrow streets of Ano Syros, the medieval city whose beauty is crowned with the Cathedral of Saint George.
- Go to the roofs of Ano Syros for a drink or a meal and enjoy the view that extends over Tinos and Mykonos, up to Paros and Sifnos.
- Visit the old Zisimatou textile factory, which is open to the audience thanks to Hermoupolis Heritage and the careful restoration of the space. You are going to enjoy a unique experience. www.hermoupolisheritage.com
- Get your hands muddy, while learning how to create ceramics in Chimera Arts and Crafts. @Chimera_artandcraft
If you enjoy walking, Syros contains a mapped out and marked network of trails. At the mountains of Ano Meria, along the beaches or even towards the beaches, there’s a wide variety of choices for those who love hiking. You can ask for a map to the trails or to hike with a guide by @syroshikes.
For people who love submarine adventures, you can take a deep dive with www.greekscuba.com
Syros offers many options when it comes to dining by the sea or in the narrow streets of Ermoupoli, of Ano Syros as well as the island’s villages. Sta Vaporia with the prettiest view and the happiest atmosphere right below our hotel, tel.281077486. The old tavern of Lilis in Ano Syros, tel.2281088087, Plakostroto in the settlement of San Michali with the prettiest sunset in Cyclades, 6973980248, the extremely unique Aloni in Papouri village tel:6938703997, the elegant restaurant Le Perpoquet Tranquille in Posidonia, tel.2281045700, the tavern of Laoutaris with rebetiko songs in Ermoupoli, tel.2281079667, Seariani next to the summer cinema, tel. 6936157600, the award-winning Avant Garden across the Apollon theater, tel.2281079416, Mazi in a wonderful garden, 6949493901, San Michali at the edge of the city with a view of Tinos and Mykonos , tel.976581656, along with a lot of bars and cafes, each with its own unique atmosphere.
Throughout the whole year but especially during the summer, Syros becomes the focal point of many cultural activities and in case you want to, you can choose between visual exhibitions, theater, opera, classical music festivals, guitar festivals, tributes to rebetiko music which is an island tradition, photography exhibits, accordion festivals, animated film festivals and, of course, SIFF, the Syros film festival, which showcases movies in the most unexpected and charming spots of the island.
You can find details about the cultural program of the Municipality of Syros at https:/www.syros-agenda.gr/category/festival/
FAQs for Things To Do in Syros Greece
Are there any children’s activities on the island of Syros?
Yes, and we love the Summer Camp at the Equestrian Club of Cyclades. Riding, nature, yoga, art activities, games, all in a breezy, shady natural environment. From 20/6/22 to 5/8/22